Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to the questions we get asked the most. If you have additional questions not answered here, please contact us.
The Estates at St. George is a project of Sagicor Financial Corporation Ltd. (www.sagicor.com) the Caribbean’s largest insurance provider. This company has its origins in The Barbados Mutual Life Assurance Society that was founded in 1840, and then demutualized in 2002 converting to a publicly listed limited liability company. The Group now has operations in 22 countries in the Caribbean and the USA. It boasts assets of US$7.3Bn, revenues of US$1.1Bn and produced net income of US$103M in 2018.
There is no entry age restriction applicable to The Estates. The condominiums have been conceptualized and professionally designed to provide a range of wellness experiences and amenities for mature residents, that will allow them to age in place with access to a range of amenities along with a continuum of personal and health care services.
You may rent your home subject to any relevant covenants governing the Development. You may list the home for rent with Terra Caribbean, our lead real estate agent, or any other registered real estate agent of your choice.
The Estates will allow up to two household pets per home being any combination of two small dogs and/or two cats, not weighing more than 25 pounds each. Pet owners must adhere strictly to the pet policy.
Catered Living will be provided in the Tamarind building and will feature:
- Three meals daily in the central dining room
- Daily fitness, wellness, social and recreational programs run by trained professional staff
- Outings and scheduled transportation using The Estates at St. George bus
- 24-hour emergency response monitoring and response by trained professionals
- Furnished 1- and 2- bedroom apartments with window coverings, efficiency kitchenette (sink, bar fridge and microwave), bed, linens, towels, TV and console table, bed side tables, couch and or wingback chair (depending on unit size)
- On-site nursing and personal support staffing as required for wellness programming
- Weekly housekeeping and laundry services
- Respite, short-term stay and recovery suites in separate wing with dedicated care staffing 24-hours per day
- Fully landscaped outdoor areas with private aqua-fit pool and patio
- Please note that to secure a residential lease in Tamarind, all applicants must be fully ambulatory and not cognitively impaired
The buildings are currently designed with wheelchair accessible elevators each of which is engineered to hold up to 1,000 pounds.
On the lower floor of The Wellness Centre there will be a Bistro and a Convenience Store with Pharmacy. There will also be an Urgent Care Medical Facility, Family Medical Clinic and visiting specialist doctors’ scheduled clinics. On the upper floor there will be the private member Georgian Club offering holistic spa and salon services, as well as gym, fitness and rehab resources.
These include, inter alia:
- Access to The Royal Palm Clubhouse and its amenities including tennis courts, pool, children’s play area, multi-purpose room and meeting room.
- Free use of fitness centre and changing rooms, and preferred rates for services at the fitness centre and spa.
- Access to The Estates’ concierge service for activity programming both on and offsite.
- Preferred reservations at the restaurant.
- Access to the landscaped gardens, the Lakeside Terraces and its amenities.
- Wireless internet access throughout the community.
- Priority access to the urgent medical care facility and to the specialist clinics.
- Priority access if the homeowner desires, to move to the Catered Living building with its care facilities.
- Scheduled transportation services to defined locations such as shopping, beaches, golf, airport etc.
- Access to the emergency response system.
Condominium owners will become part of the Proprietary Unit Plan or PUP and will incur monthly fees to cover the operational costs of the PUP and to share in the operational expenses of managing The Estates at St. George and its amenity offerings. There are thus three components of the monthly fee: 1) Amenity Fee; 2) Direct Expenses; 3) Shared Expenses. Unit owners’ fees will be based on their unit entitlement of the PUP.
The Estates is a fenced and gated community with 24-hour guard service that will provide physical as well as psychological security for residents and their guests. All entrances will have barrier entry and the security service will include monitored CCTV on residences and commercial buildings.
Yes, you can own a property in Barbados. In addition, a retired person can also qualify for a Special Entry Permit (SEP) if he or she owns real estate in Barbados valued at over BBD 600,000 and has adequate health insurance. With a SEP, an individual can enter and reside in Barbados with few or no restrictions. A SEP may be granted for either an indefinite or fixed period, depending on how the individual is categorized. Without a SEP, an individual is subject to normal immigration controls, and you should consult your legal counsel for advice in this area.
Should you wish to finance your purchase, you are free to engage a financial institution with which you have a relationship. We would also be happy to refer you to a Sagicor Mortgage Specialist who will be able to discuss possible options.
The Lakeside Terraces are 4.5 acres of landscaped gardens, ponds, walking trails and hobby gardening areas for the enrichment of our residents’ lives. The ponds are there for their aesthetic value and are designed to capture rainfall run off. They will have a stock of fish to balance the aquatic ecosystem. For your safety, the ponds will be fenced. No swimming or fishing allowed.
About The Estates at St. George
The Estates at St. George is the first of its kind in the Caribbean. A visionary concept of an active lifestyle residential community catering to people at every stage of their adult lives. The Estates at St. George represents a unique opportunity to live an independent and active lifestyle in an elegant apartment home surrounded by a wealth of amenities in a secure environment. Currently in the first first phase which offers 88 condominiums and garden flats, the community will culminate with 208 residences